Erectile dysfunction also called impotence, is a concern when a man finds it difficult to achieve or maintain an erection. The major causes of ED can be, both psychological and physical. ED due to physical causes is common in men as they age. The men suffering from erectile dysfunction can take FDA approved medications to treat ED. Some of the most well-known ED medications include:
a. Sildenafil (generic Viagra)
b. Tadalafil (Cialis)
c. Vardenafil (Levitra)
These prescription drugs increase nitric oxide levels in your bloodstream. Nitric oxide, being a vasodilator widens the blood vessels and helps increase the blood flow to the penis. The more circulation of blood to your penis, the easier it gets for you to achieve and maintain an erection when you are sexually aroused. However, these drugs can also cause side some effects. Here are some of the side-effects that you might experience by taking erectile dysfunction medications on regular basis.
1) Headaches – Headaches are the most common side effect associated with erectile dysfunction drugs. The sudden change in blood flow due to increased levels of nitric oxide can lead to the headaches. This side effect is common with all forms of ED medications, so changing your ED medicine won’t necessarily alleviate your symptoms. You can talk to your doctor to prevent or treat a headache.
2) Digestive system problems – Sometimes your ED drug may cause uncomfortable digestive system side effects, such as indigestion and diarrhea. You might need to make some dietary changes to treat an upset stomach. Drink more water instead of caffeine, alcohol, or juice. Talk to your doctor if these remedies don’t work for you. Your doctor may recommend you some over-the-counter medicines to treat digestive issues.
3) Dizziness – An increase in nitric oxide in the body can make you feel dizzy. The dizziness caused by ED drugs is generally mild. In rare cases, you might get faint due to dizziness. Visit your doctor right away if you get faint while taking these drugs.
4) Body aches and pains – Some people may experience muscle aches and pains throughout their bodies while taking ED drugs. Talk to your doctor if you have these types of pain. Your doctor may recommend some over the counter painkillers to get relief from pain.
5) Congestion and runny nose – Congestion, a runny or stuffy nose are common symptoms of ED drugs. These side effects go away on their own with time. However, consult with your doctor if these symptoms persist for a longer time.
6) Vision changes – ED medications can change the way you see things. Certain medicines can temporarily alter your eyesight and even cause blurry vision. It is recommended not to take ED drugs if you’re suffering from a retinal disorder. Seek emergency medical care right away if you experience any vision changes.
Recognizing Uncommon, Severe Side Effects – Minor side effects are common with taking medication for ED. Still, there are a few side effects that aren’t as common. These can even be downright dangerous. Severe side effects of ED drugs can include:
a) Sudden changes in hearing
b) Vision loss
Contact your doctor immediately if you have any of these severe side effects.
Men with some health conditions or taking other prescription medications are more prone to experience side effects of ED drugs. Make sure to tell your doctor about the other medicines you take to avoid further complications. If ED drugs aren’t working for you, your doctor may suggest other treatment options, such as surgery or vacuum pumps.